I decided to do something, well different. So I ended up with this redistributable online chat based on Websockets.
The result is a basic but totaly redistributable chat, you don’t even need to have a webserver installed. Just compile and go!
Just download the source and unzip, if you are using GNU/Linux you can build and start the server using either the build or buildx64 scripts.
- Download and unzip http://code.google.com/p/gomingw/downloads/list to e.g C:/Tools/go
- Add C:/Tools/go/bin to your PATH
- Add new Environment Variable GOROOT and set it to C:/Tools/go/
- Add new Environment Variable GOBIN and set it to C:/Tools/go/bin
- Download the ze-chat source and unzip it somewhere
- open a new command prompt and navigate to that directory
- type and execute ’8g server.go’
- type and execute ’8l -o server.exe server.8′
- type and execute ‘server.exe 8181′ , replace 8181 with any other port you would like
- done, use either Chrome or Firefox 4 Beta, open a tab/window, type in the address “http://localhost:8181″